How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where can i find the laws in Ohio?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:56 am 

I have decided to grow tobacco for the first time next spring. I don't know anyone around here that grows it, so I don't have anyone to ask first hand. I want to follow the law. but havn't been able to find one law that covers growing for my personal consumption. I have heard many different renditions of "THE LAW" and i'm getting frustrated. I don't want to put out 600 plants, grow them, care for them, harvest them, and then get arrested and spend two years in jail because, I'm only allowed to grow 500. Can anyone tell me where i can go and actually read the laws with my own eyes?
How many levels do i need to look at? Federal/state/county/township.

Post subject: Re: Where can i find the laws in Ohio?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:11 pm 

Hi Tony:

No tobacco farmer goes to jail for planting or selling full leaves. The problem is when you take the vein out, then it's a tobacco product and you have to pay taxes plus you need an special license. You can plant as much tobacco as you want and you can sell that tobacco (full leaves) to the big guys and no problem. You are planning to plant 2 acres of tobacco, well I hope you are very young, because is going to take you about 15 years to smoke all that tobacco. Better to start small and learn and then go big. Planting good quality tobacco is a bit complicated and color curing and aging is a lot more complicated.

Good luck

Ramon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:42 am 

Thanks for the reply Mountainman, I havn't considered myself young for a number of years. :D
I have looked every where and can't find any laws against it. With that said, It is still illegal to spit on the sidewalk in 48 states. And i can't find that law ether. I just don't want to invest time and money in this and then have it taken away, or worst spend time in the pen for it because of some obscure law that is still on the books.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:33 pm 

Tony G wrote:
Thanks for the reply Mountainman, I havn't considered myself young for a number of years. :D
I have looked every where and can't find any laws against it. With that said, It is still illegal to spit on the sidewalk in 48 states. And i can't find that law ether. I just don't want to invest time and money in this and then have it taken away, or worst spend time in the pen for it because of some obscure law that is still on the books.

Go ask your local USDA the will tell you there is no restrictions on tobacco growing . Tobacco has been and some places still does grow in southern Ohio .

Before the tobacco buyout we had to list the tobacco crop and pounds we raised and how much we had that was carry over tobacco from the year before . Now they don't have no intrest in tobacco , tobacco is a open market just like hay .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:51 am 

Ya know that makes alot of sense. and it sounds like all the na-sayers that say it is illegal must be getting their info from the anti-tobacco side or worst it could be big tobacco that started these rumors about the home grower to keep them out of their profits.
conspiricy theriorist could have a hay day figuring this one out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:42 pm 

I got really ticked off at an online article by (I think) AP about home tobacco growers; they mentioned that if you grow tobacco yourself, you don't pay taxes on it. All the comments on the article were about the fact that we're "evading" taxes (which is blatantly false - evading taxes is a crime, avoiding taxes is just financial prudence).

The anti-tobacco crowd is venemous and vicious, but fortunately the IRS has some understanding of the realities of the situation. Tobacco doesn't get taxed until it reaches a certain stage of processing (and even then, the tax changes drastically based on the end-product; pipe tobacco is taxed much lower than the same tobacco if it's rolled into cigarettes!) But none of this kicks in until the tobacco gets processed; as long as it's still whole-leaf, it's still just a crop. And you are able to process it for your own use without getting into a tax situation at all.

Apart from the tax issues, there aren't any legal restrictions. Then again, I'm not a lawyer (I'm a non-lawyer unpaid spokesperson, as they say in the commercials. But damn, I look good on TV!).

-RSF

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:10 am 

The tax paid on a pack of smokes is not my biggest issue, dont get me wrong it, it sucks paying $5.57 a pack.
The issue i have is all the chemicals put into them, especially the most recent one that makes them FSC. FIRE SAFE CIGARETTE really! A chemical that makes your cigarette extinguish its self unless you constantly puff on it. Who thought of this?
Another issue i have is quality. I grow my own tomatoes because they taste much better than the greenhouse tomatoes that everyone uses, And i think i can grow a better tasting tobacco than big tobacco.