How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aussie needs help identifying strain.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:15 am 

Hi folks
This has been popping up for a few years it seams happy here in Southern Australia
Would love to know what it is?
I let it go to seed and just chuck it out again each spring but now I have a chance to look after a few proper next spring, would love to get a few other strains going to.
Cheers Ferm.
http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/Harptommy1/slideshow/

Post subject: Re: Aussie needs help identifying strain.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:13 pm 

It looks like Nicotiana Sylvestris to me from my untrained and amateur eye.

Usually N. Tobacum flowers are pink and not white like the ones in your pics but I could be wrong.

Hence why I thought it might be N. Sylvestris like here https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:P1000475_Nicotiana_sylvestris_(Flowering_tobacco)_(Solanaceae)_Plant.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:06 am 

Hi Ferm

I am unable to identify your strain, yet it certainly looks healthy and happy !
You have done a fine job !

Skychaser, at northwoodseeds has the best selection available. Perhaps you might look at the excellent pictures of what he offers to find the closest resemblance ?

http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed%20List2.htm

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:56 pm 

Cheers for the replies.
I have been checking out all the pics on NWS, what a selection!
Nicotiana Sylvestris is most likely the strain.
looks just like a lot of other photos now that the flowers are about 100mm long
It's certainly a happy camper.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:23 pm 

It sure looks like Sylvestris to me. The flower stalk should rise up well above the leaves as it develops more. The flowers will be pure white and much bigger than other tobaccos. They are very pretty plants when in full bloom.

Nicotiana Sylvestris can't cross with other tobaccos. It has 24 chromosomes and Tobaccums have 48. In fact it is one of the original "parents" of all N. Tobaccum strains. DNA analysis has relieved the other parent to be N. Tomentosa. In one of those random freak of nature things, these two nicotianas were able to cross and produce diploid offspring with two sets of chromosomes. Those were the first N. Tobaccum plants. All the strains we grow today evolved from there.

Sylvestris is really easy to grow. And it makes a pretty nice mild low nic smoke. But Tomentosa is a real challenge to grow. First, it is difficult to start. It needs warm soil and full sunlight for germination and can take up to 4-6 weeks to sprout. It grows a little slower than others the first couple weeks, but then takes off and starts to take on the characteristics of modern strains. It will get 6' high and have 16-20 leaves about 10" x 20". They cure a dullish brown.

I have grown Tomentosa the last two years but have yet to get one to bloom. The flowers should be a deep red color. I have read that they are photo sensitive and won't bloom until the days get short. So last year I moved them into my greenhouse in the fall before it froze here and kept them going until December. We were down to 8 1/2 hours of daylight by then and still no blooms! Then it became insanely cold here so I closed up the greenhouse for the year and brought a couple in the house. One is still alive and might make it back out to grow for a second season. I'll try again from seed this year. Maybe the third time is a charm. Maybe I'll try dosing them good with that blossom booster fertilizer mix the weed growers around here use. That might help inspire them to flower. lol

Sky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:55 pm 

Interesting experiment, Skychaser !

Thanks for your effort !

I certainly hope you are successful !
rc

..apparently UC Berkley may have some information on the Nicotiana Tomentosa...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:01 am 

Very interesting. Thanks for your input Sky.

(It sure looks like Sylvestris to me. The flower stalk should rise up well above the leaves as it develops more. The flowers will be pure white and much bigger than other tobaccos. They are very pretty plants when in full bloom.)

Yep that's the one! The flowers have a beautiful smell to them,especially in the evening.
Thanks to all whome contributed.
Cheers Ferm 1

http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/Harpt ... sort=3&o=0