How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pesticide
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:58 am 

Do the stalks (after leaves have been primed) make a good insecticide? Or is the nic content in the stalks too low?

Post subject: Re: pesticide
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:33 pm 

I think it's actually very high in the stalks + stems (as that's where much of the plant sap is stored) :) . maybe people will chop/shred the stalks and soak in water to leach out the sap and create a good nicotine pesticide. I have heard that some bugs aren't affected. I don't think that a hornworm that can eat a whole tobacco plant would be affected by a nicotine-spray. Thuricide bacteria spray works really well on softbody worms. liquid soap spray works wonders against aphids and egg-laying moths.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:35 pm 

For the soap pesticide, what type of soap and what ratio is good for aphids. I just started to see an outbreak. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:38 pm 

I like to use plain Ivory brand (Proctor & Gamble, P&G company). They sell these hard, white bars. I usually grate/shred it and dissolve it into some water. I didn't really measure, about a handful of shredded soap (loose, not packed) into about 2gal of water. essentially the solution should have enough soap in it to feel noticeably 'slippery' when rubbed between your fingers, but definitely very much a LIQUID. Ivory sells liquid hand and dish soap. I don't know how different that is from their original recipe. Soap soap is a salt derived from alkalizing fatty acids from certain oils. When applied as a pesticide, it has a desiccating effect on the small critters. It changes the pH/osmotic balance and causes them to dehydrate and die. Some 'soaps' are really DETERGENTS (sorry, I make soap and i find that most people do not know this) and can be dangerous to ingest/inhale. I prefer to stick with Ivory or any other kind of 'lye soap'. Ivory is super cheap.

I use a pump-sprayer. Just spray on the tops/underside of leaves, on the stalk, and a little bit of a ring around the plant itself (might help with keeping slugs away, too?) aphids are tiny little critters and like to get in places. Make sure to get in and soak the leafing/flowering bud areas where aphids LOVE to chill out! I find that it decimates their populations quickly. since it's soap-soap, it'll wash off in a good rain, so remember to re-apply when it dries out after a storm. I find that I only need to apply a few times a season, to keep the populations in check.