How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Delgold time to maturity
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:19 am 

It is June 9th and my delgold seedlings have been out of the ground for 3 weeks now (it had took about a week to germinate). The first of the main leaf has been showing for about a week or so and are getting noticeably bigger daily and on a few the second main leaf are just starting to show. We have possibly another 4 months of grow season here and I'm just wondering, is this enough time to reach maturity? I'm most likely going to get some leaf of them regardless but i'm more interested in getting seed for next year. I have 140+ plants on the grow right now and i'm thinking that a few should bloom earlier then the rest, maybe? how long does it take delgold to mature? any thoughts or opinions? thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Delgold time to maturity
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:22 am 

As a rough rule of thumb I go by the following: After transplanting into the garden they will be ready to be topped 60 days later. After topping wait three weeks then start priming (or stalk harvest). 1st priming is for the lower leaves, a week later do the middle leaves and a week after that do the tops. Hang for 6 weeks to cure. So from the time you plant into your garden until you have cured leave is "about" 4 months total. This is just a rough guide, some plants can be topped at 50 days but as a general rule you can assume 60. Search this site for the best methods to use to determine when your leaf is ready to be harvested.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:29 am 

Del Gold matures about 65-70 days after transplanting out to the field. Tobacco maturity is generally defined as when 50% of the plants are in bloom. This is the point where most commercial growers would top them. The leaf should be ripe and ready to harvest in another 3-4 weeks. So 90-100 days from transplant to harvest for leaf. For a seed crop add another 30 days.

It sounds like your plants are still 3 weeks away from being ready to transplant out. You probably have time for a good leaf harvest but getting fully mature and ripe seed heads is a long shot at this point. You will most likely end up with a very high percentage of immature and nonviable seeds if they get frosted before the seeds have fully developed in the pods. Also, if you are growing any other tobaccos, you will need to bag all your plants before the first flower opens to prevent cross pollination.

Growing tobacco for seed in an area with a relatively short growing season can be done with good results, but timing it all just right is a must. Miss the window of opportunity for planting and your odds of success get pretty low.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:24 pm 

Just an update here: I got the crop (140+ plants) into the ground between july 3-6. I had a few that got nawed on by earwigs before the transplanting but i killed them and a few got hit by slugs and/or snails but the damage is nil, I've been killing them as i see them. I have a tarp cover acting as kind of a mulch to prevent the grass and weeds growing thats why cutting and digging the holes was such a long tedious proccess. I been using a rotted manure tea and 18-18-20 tomato food alternatley to feed and the plants are doing great. It's hard to beleive how fast they grow once they get going. i'll have a link soon to vids i'll take of my garden. see you soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:45 pm 

chillardbee wrote:
i'll have a link soon to vids i'll take of my garden. see you soon.

Cool!!