How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: container growing tobacco
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:13 pm 

i thought it might be a good idea to put some of the stuff i have experienced from container growing of tobacco on paper (web whatever lol)

A. first thing i have noticed is that 3 gallons of dirt is just not enuff - 4 gallons is more reasonable in a 5 gallon bucket...

i have several reasons behind this
1. after awhile the dirt compacts and exposes the top parts of the roots
2. heavy winds tend to knock them over if there isnt a wind barrier of some sorts
3. the bottom leaves seem to get pinched, IE broken

B. if they cannot be protected by a barrier of some sort i would suggest something at least to keep them upright, i used a pair of galvanized steel carpet separators (u know the kind that separate diff types of carpet in a doorway - and are relatively flat) bolted to the bottom of the bucket

C. i know that here in Montana once the plant has reached 1.5 ft i had to start watering them 2 times per day
1. i had 30 plants and i watered them 10 gallons of water in 2 diff watering's
2. once the plant reached 3ft i was at almost 30 gallons a day at 3 diff watering's
I know this seems a little much but with buckets the water goes way to fast due to evaporation and plant sucking up the water (pluss mine were on asphalt)

D. when it came to feeding with my miracle grow plant food i would do one scoop for a 5 gallon bucket of water - which is diluted to 1/5th the recommended - this is mostly because i chose a bought soil that was high in all the stuff it needed and had some slow release stuff in it.
1. i used a 18-18-21 tomato food till i got them all in their own buckets and had been in the buckets for about a month
2. i used 30-10-10 for about a month to 6 weeks
3. now after this i went to a 10-30-10 for foliage, hoping that this would give me a little bit bigger leaves, untill the flower buds appeared and now have stopped using all foods

all of these foods were done using the diluted method

so far i havent had any troubles to speak of except for my plants that only have 3 gallons of dirt, the really big trouble that i have had is watering... my recommendation is to get a watering system in place that gives a set amount every day threw drip or something, i have hauled water to mine from my kitchen sink every day in 2, 5 gallon buckets

if anyone else has some container growing things they would like to add please feel free too add them - container growing is a completely different ball game from gardening the regular way

Post subject: Re: container growing tobacco
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:00 pm 

some of the ones of mine started to seed quicker, the ones in the ground have not at all yet and they were started first

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:54 pm 

Well, here's my experience with 3 gal. pots.

1. You have to water more frequently, especially if you have fast draining soil.
2. You have to feed at least once every 2 weeks as the frequent watering removes nutrients.
3. They won't get as tall as in the ground. My tallest is about 4 foot.

I've had no problem with wind but my winds, although almost constant, are only about 10-20 mph with occasional higher gusts.

One thing I have noticed, if you're gonna bag them for seed, be sure and leave enough room for growth inside the bag. I had to re-bag one and it had grown so much it broke it's stem. Fortunately, it had secondary flowers so all is not lost. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:07 pm 

Wydeboi, believe it or not, one of the guys down in Florida had some big plants come out of buckets. I can't remember the size, it was interesting comparing them to the ones he had in the ground. It all depends just as much with soil as it does volume. A few of my plants in the garden near the end didn't grow much at all since the ground was so tough. If there's one thing I hate about my area it's hard clay and rocks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:26 pm 

good additions... the main reason for my post is the really big difference between container and regular gardening - i dont really think there is a limit to size in a pot - mostly cause i have all my neighbors embarest with my tomato's which have now hit the 5ft range planted identically to my tobacco.....

most of tobacco planting i believe is timing - and control over what happens to them....

and yea watering.... geesh its nutz but i think its worth the extra work. im really gonna do the watering timer next year, somehow....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:43 am 

It is certainly possible that having to delay planting out, because of bad weather, could have a stunting effect on the plants. Mine where 9 weeks and a few days old when the weather finally co-operated and I got them planted out. However, now here is a conundrum, they are almost 90 days out and still growing. They've had flower buds for several weeks and are just now beginning to flower out. My calculations put them at about 150 days old. I've had a few leaves begin yellowing on the bottom, but not many. There may be several reasons for this type of behavior.

1. the weather has been very cool, highs 62-68F with lows 54-58F (over the past 3 months)
2. they are pre-1880 heirloom varieties and their genetics may not be like a Burley or Virginia.

Just two reasons, I'm sure there are more, soil density, water, nutrients. It is definitely a learning experience but a heck of a lot of fun! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:08 pm 

Jack

Glad you enjoy it that will make a big difference no matter how it goes . And you will learn sounfds like you already learned bunches . Hey if you can keep them green they will keep growing till frost . If them yellow leaves become a problem prime them off so you don't loose them .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:11 pm 

Im a What!! No not me lol

Hey man hows it going ?? Going good here are you keeping an eye on Jack there ?? Gotta watch him he will be misting his leaves if not . No telling just what he's really doing to them probably just washing them off .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:38 pm 

lol! :lol:

Yep, I wash em, treat em for fungus and hang em high!

Lonnie, I have learned tons here and on Coffinnails, especially thanks to you and George. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:58 pm 

Jack

Thanks man glad we could help you . And if it comes to it hope we can help again if you need it . I think you have the basics down though . I think we all keep learning I know I'm doing a few things different next year .

I known most this stuff for years but will practice it next year lol Like soil sample and Ridomil . I'll stretch a string to plant a row and spray for fungus . Then apply fertilizer as a test indacates then till and plant the row then do another one .

Hoping to avoid the deseases plus not worrying about using to much 19-`19-19

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:59 am 

Hi --

I've been wondering why I would put anti-fungal agents on my drying tobacco. My experience (and it isn't much, just this year curing the second time) is that if I'm careful about humidity and air flow, I don't get fungus. If I allow too much of the former and too little of the latter, then the fungus starts at the main center rib at the base of the leaf. My cure for that is to dry the leaf crispy again and start over with less humidity and/or more air.

I suppose if I was a commercial farmer and was curing the leaves by stacking them in huge piles, I wouldn't be able to have as much control and spraying a fungicide on them would make more sense.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:07 am 

Bob, I've found that I don't have ideal conditions for drying. Even in my shed with a heater and fan. I can't run the heater continuously or they will dry green so I run it about 8-12 hours a day keeping the temp at 75-80F. My RH is high, I live by the coast, it is usually in the 80-90%. My daily outside temps in summer are 65-70F (actually it rarely hits 70, yesterday the high was 67F). With these conditions mold especially powdery mildew develops easily so after I wash the leaves I dip them in a solution of Serenade. It's a bacterial product. The bacteria eat mold, mildew etc. When there is no mold the bacteria die. So, that is why I use a fungicide. It's rated safe for organic gardening and it can be sprayed on after harvest. So far it's worked. Only time will tell if it makes a real difference.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:37 pm 

imawhat wrote:
i thought it might be a good idea to put some of the stuff i have experienced from container growing of tobacco on paper (web whatever lol)

A. first thing i have noticed is that 3 gallons of dirt is just not enuff - 4 gallons is more reasonable in a 5 gallon bucket...

i have several reasons behind this
1. after awhile the dirt compacts and exposes the top parts of the roots
2. heavy winds tend to knock them over if there isnt a wind barrier of some sorts
3. the bottom leaves seem to get pinched, IE broken

B. if they cannot be protected by a barrier of some sort i would suggest something at least to keep them upright, i used a pair of galvanized steel carpet separators (u know the kind that separate diff types of carpet in a doorway - and are relatively flat) bolted to the bottom of the bucket

C. i know that here in Montana once the plant has reached 1.5 ft i had to start watering them 2 times per day
1. i had 30 plants and i watered them 10 gallons of water in 2 diff watering's
2. once the plant reached 3ft i was at almost 30 gallons a day at 3 diff watering's
I know this seems a little much but with buckets the water goes way to fast due to evaporation and plant sucking up the water (pluss mine were on asphalt)

D. when it came to feeding with my miracle grow plant food i would do one scoop for a 5 gallon bucket of water - which is diluted to 1/5th the recommended - this is mostly because i chose a bought soil that was high in all the stuff it needed and had some slow release stuff in it.
1. i used a 18-18-21 tomato food till i got them all in their own buckets and had been in the buckets for about a month
2. i used 30-10-10 for about a month to 6 weeks
3. now after this i went to a 10-30-10 for foliage, hoping that this would give me a little bit bigger leaves, untill the flower buds appeared and now have stopped using all foods

all of these foods were done using the diluted method

so far i havent had any troubles to speak of except for my plants that only have 3 gallons of dirt, the really big trouble that i have had is watering... my recommendation is to get a watering system in place that gives a set amount every day threw drip or something, i have hauled water to mine from my kitchen sink every day in 2, 5 gallon buckets

if anyone else has some container growing things they would like to add please feel free too add them - container growing is a completely different ball game from gardening the regular way

Yes.. I' know your pain about watering... :)

But mine are sitting in 1,5 Gallon pots :) - and I wonder how is it possible, that the've managed to grow
to 6ft (the topped ones...) with bottom leaves measuring 18,1" (inches) long and 11" (inches) width :)
Anyway now I'm sure - no more planting on balcony - time to go serious and get some field outside :D

And some photo of this small test plantation :

Greetings!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:16 pm 

I've got 36 in 3 gal. pots. Watering is the key. I've found that every 3 days in my climate works well. Your climate will dictate how often you need to water. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:01 pm 

thought i would ad a quote here from ozark lady to put a little spin on the container growing aspect

Ozark lady wrote:
As a kid, I grew up in the Mississippi River Delta farmlands. And crops were everyone's business. I noticed, that we grew 3 crops per year: cotton, soybeans and wheat. The farms next to us were irrigated and rice was grown there. The fields were never empty. As soon as a crop was done it was chopped up and plowed under, and they kept working that field until it was just so. And then they prepared it and planted it again.
They plowed the fields a minimum of 3 times per year to prepare for crops, and only during heavy rains did the fields set empty.
Yes, I am sure some bad bacteria and fungus is killed in this way, so is some good. That is how it works unfortunately.
It is a balancing act, and one you just have to get a feel for.
I did read that tobacco should be grown in a field for a maximum of 2 years, then rotated to another field.
If you have no other growing area, you could opt to grow the tobacco in containers in the third year, and grow something else in the area that was for tobacco. Or simply layer on some good compost and manure, and cover it with plastic, and set the containers on top of that for the third year. Then the next year it should be ready to go again.

container growing for some of us with really small yards should be included in the learning process for most of us......

never know when something really horrible could happen and your forced to garden in an unexpected way