How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeds a growing
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:20 am 

I finally got to start my tobacco seeds.

I had some issues with mold in my house, and had to get moved before I could start my seeds.

I now have Kentucky Burley, Monte Calm Yellow, and Aztec Rustica growing.

The Aztec Rustica sprouted in about 2 days.
The Monte Sprouted at about 5 days.
The Burley sprouted at 6 days

This is easily visible sprouting, so the time could have been a little shorter.

My Rustica is now about an inch tall, and the other two are about a quarter inch tall.

They have been growing now for about a week and a half.

I did not have a grow light for them, so they are probably a little behind on development.

I bought me a light yesterday and have it hanging about 6 inches above them right now.
Should I now remove the cover on them or wait till they develop a little more?

Thanks to those of you who were nice enough to give me the seeds.

I will post more as they grow.

Post subject: Re: Seeds a growing
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:14 am 

Hey Mark,

Glad to hear you got some plants growing.

..."Should I now remove the cover on them or wait till they develop a little more?" ...

If you have a plastic dome over them, it's time to remove it. Or at least prop it open a little and let some air in. Too much humidity and moisture can cause dampening off at this stage and will kill the seedlings.

On the other hand, don't let them get dry either. That will kill them fast too. Once they get a couple more weeks growth on them they will be much less fussy and become quite tolerant to a less than perfect environment. Getting seedlings to the 4 week stage is the hardest part of growing tobacco. After that they are almost bullet proof.

Sky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:28 pm 

Yep.

What sky said...

Heat and dry just killed a buncha tiny little sprouts here in Kalifornia.

Gotta watch 'em real close when they are small!

Good luck
rc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:03 am 

Well so far my littleplants are holding on. I discovered that I was overwatering them badly. A couple of the plants started drowning. One of them is making a recovery and the second one cant decide if it wants to live or die. I still have hope for it though.

All the rest of the plants seemed to go into a stasis mode. I noticed this morning that in between the two little green leaves there seems to be a spot that looks like it might be new green leaves. Hopefully here in a few days they will have real leaves.

Will keep you posted.

Havent watered in 3 days now and they are still moist.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:44 pm 

Mark, Over watering sprouts is the most common mistake I think people make. That opinion comes from hands on attempts to teach 4 other adults how to not do it. Tobacco is very slow to do much for about 2 weeks and I think this lends to people thinking something is wrong. The first solution anyone thinks of is they need water. When most likely they are either just fine or already to wet.

Your sprouting times sound good to me, I like everything to sprout in four days but do not even achieve that myself always. You are under that with Rustica which is common. on or near that mark with one variety and over by half again that much on another. On average all of your seed landed smack dab on that 4 day sprout time I like to see. Better than I have done this year.

I feel I am doing a crack job if my starts are about as big around as a pencil eraser in a week and am not terribly disappointed if it takes closer to two. It is agonizing to see so little progress in that period of time. But it is completely normal. By 4 weeks I want my starts to be 2 inches across from leaf tip to opposite leaf tip with leafs about the size of a quarter.

The above are the bench marks I look for in my plants up to 4 weeks. after 4 weeks my expectation enter a completely different period. IN the next to weeks I expect to see the impressive growth tobacco is capable of. the plants need to go from 2 inches tall to 8 at least. leaves need to go from being the size of a quarter to larger than my hand. In short they need to give you the first belief that they ever have any hope of being the giants with 2 foot long leaves they are capable of being. And they will if you don't fret to much and kill them with attention. They are second half players so let hem have their slow start and just know it is a good start and all is on the right path.