How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LIght during the germination ??
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:08 am 

i just wonder how many hours of light they need during the germination period.. i just got the first seeds in the soil today and i'm using 2x18watt regular florecent light tubes.. sould i get a timer going and give e'm a regular light cycle or can i keep the light on 24 hours until they sproute ??

Post subject: Re: LIght during the germination ??
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 am 

I did some experimentation with 2 different strains, Virginia and some unknown Cuban variety (got it from Cuba, from the area where they grow tobacco for premium cigars).

I did some germination in total darkness, some under 16h/day CFL lightning, some in the greenhouse in the sun.

The result? Light didn't really do much difference, I managed to germinate everything withing 2-4 days. What DID make huge difference was the temperature of germination and the moisture of the air where they germinated.

So, the best way to germinate turned out to be to throw seeds on wet soil in pots, enclose them in plastic bag and put them somewhere where there is around 30°C (96°F), maybe even more. :)

So, I guess you can keep the lights on for 24h/day, at least it will provide the much needed heat!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:57 am 

thanks for the answer .. i keep my pots under a plastic cover(kind of a small greenhouse) and the temp is from 25 to 32 C so i guess i'm close to the sweet sopt for germination :)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:07 am 

I would agree with the temperature and moisture making a difference for germinating seed. I have started them under lights and in shaded areas with equal results. I tend to like the idea of supplying light simply because it does not hurt and there is some chance it helps. Helps in the since that possible more seeds germinate than woudl without it. My experience has shown that my time is better spent providing a warmer space rather than a well lit one though. Once they sprout though (2-4 days) they will need that light anyway. I might as well be set up to give it to them.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:48 am 

I would tend to agree with this, all my seedlings were germinated in a propagator this year, and have only used natural light.

Markw

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:21 am 

Tobacco seed has varying degrees of photo-dormancy. The majority of varieties will germinate with little or no light but a few will not. Harrow Velvet Burley needs light to germinate properly. My germination rate for HV was only about 20%. When I put them in the greenhouse with full daylight exposure the germ rate went up to over 90%. Out of about 100 different varieties I have grown, it is the only one I have found yet that shows a strong photo-dormancy.

I agree with Daniel that temperature and moisture are the biggest factors in germination. Keeping them moist is a must. Never let them go dry or those tiny seedlings will die in no time. Temperature greatly affect how long germination takes. At a constant 75f, most varieties will sprout in 5-7 days. At 65f it will take 10-14 days on average, and at 55f it will take up to 30 days for them to sprout.

Once they sprout, they need to be under good light within a couple days or they will get very leggy and start leaning toward what ever light is available. I sprout seeds indoors in a room with lots of windows and natural light, but as soon as they are up they move to the greenhouse.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:12 am 

Skychaser, Any sort of idea how many hours of sunlight seeds might need if they are photo dependent? I have noticed in the past that even seed that germinated without light sprouted more seed when exposed to sunlight for even a few hours. Better viability percentages may be found simply by exposing all seed to sunlight.
What I am thinking for this year is once I have my cups of seed started I will set them out in the sun for at least a few hours. possibly causing more seed to sprout than would otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:29 pm 

I know it's voodoo here in the forums, but I swear that my seeds germinate faster under light*. I like to start things off indoors in my office (doesn't get any natural light from Sun) under some 5500F and 6000F CLF growlights. my fresh seeds, or ones from ARSGRIN show radicle emerging within 24hours and fully emerged and dropped the seed shell from cotyledons within 3-4 days. It could be the perfect storm of good seeds, good ph for starter material, water, and the seedling mat. But like I said, voodoo: when the steps you do WORK, you just keep DOING THEM :D I also had some seed from 'another' forum that took almost 20days to germinate and had like a 5-10% germination rate ::thumbsdown::

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:18 am 

From what I have read, it's the red light end of the spectrum that triggers the enzyme coating on the seed to break down which allows it to germinate. Only a couple hours a day are needed.

There are other enzymes that prevent the seed from sprouting immediately after a seed has ripened. They break down over a period weeks or months by exposure to the air in an effect known as after ripening. Seeds that have aged a little will germinate at a far higher rate than "fresh" seeds.

It makes perfect sense if you think about it. It's natures way of preventing the seed from sprouting before conditions are right for growing. The seed might be tricked into sprouting by warm fall weather otherwise. So the seed is coated in enzymes that act as timers.

Studies done by the USDA on tobacco seed show that the viability remains stable for 5 years if stored properly. After 5 years the germination rate declines at about 2% per year. The gov seed bank replaces their tobacco seed stock every 10 years. So seed you may have gotten from ars-grin could be up to 10 years old. They contract grow out 10% of their seed stock each year to replace it. At least they did up until this year. Who knows what they will do in the future.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:02 am 

I agree entirely with Skychaser's comments.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:39 pm 

3 Days since i started and today i noticed someting that looked like grain of white sand in the pots and i guess that is the seeds starting to sprout :) ...

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:36 pm 

Stig wrote:
3 Days since i started and today i noticed someting that looked like grain of white sand in the pots and i guess that is the seeds starting to sprout :) ...

You must have good eyesight!!! :lol:

I guess it helps if you have good compost of a uniform colour, some of mine had all sorts of carp in it
so you could not tell what was what.

When I observed mine carefully with X3 reading glasses I would say before you observe bit of white you can
see the brown seed swelling and you can see these small orangey-brown bails on the surface and then you
can see a white speck on the ball which is the root emerging.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:18 am 

White speck in 3 days is just about what you can expect to see. At 4 days you can have some hope of seeing some actual leaves appear. Not every seed will grow at the same speed. Still get them under light as soon as you see green.