How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: when to plant some seeds in north carolina
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:40 pm 

Moving to North Carolina. They have pretty harsh winters there. When would be a good time to plant some tobacco seeds?

Post subject: Re: when to plant some seeds in north carolina
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:31 am 

rbig wrote:
Moving to North Carolina. They have pretty harsh winters there. When would be a good time to plant some tobacco seeds?

Pretty harsh compared to where??

I'm in north east Maryland and just planted my seeds. I usually set them out about mid May. Maybe someone from NC will weigh in here but I would think that you need to be planting seeds now.
Randy B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:38 am 

I live in Reno that has a slow cool spring. Our last frost date is by the calendar may 15th. I will start my seeds in two weeks giving them 8 weeks to grow indoors then have to do some things to warm the soil and keep it that way until mid June or later.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:43 pm 

If you're moving to the tidewater or the piedmont, then early to mid March should be good for starting the seed indoors. If you are heading for the mountains (Hickory, etc.) then you can't plant until late May, and could wait until early to mid April to start seed. Good luck in your move.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:31 am 

I kow how he feels though. When the weather starts to break there is an awful urdge to get those seeds going, no matter that the plans might bolt later. Oh well thats part of the challenge.

Dino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:17 am 

I think I'd get em started germinating indoors NOW!
rc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:10 am 

If you're along the coastal plain or into the sandhills area, you should be good to go right now. But if you haven't started your seeds inside yet, you should. Early February is ideal.

Don't be afraid to push your seedlings -- they can handle a lot more than you'd think. To give you an idea, I'm in Columbia, SC. Our winters are generally mild, but we do get a month or so of overnight lows hovering right around 28 degrees. I started my seeds inside in mid-January and set the plants outside in the ground on... you ready?... February 28. There have been 2 nights of sub-32 temperature since then -- to date, the leaves have taken far more damage from twigs sticking out of the dirt and heavy rain than they have from a chilly night.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:32 am 

to add to the above comment. I have 25 plants that where set outside nearly two weeks ago. it has been snowing almost every day since then with the exception of about three days. I don't have any idea what the eventual effect this will have on the plant but they are looking very good considering. a few burns on a couple of leaves where they came in contact with the snow covered plastic that we have over them. but we have not gone to great lengths to protect them. Mainly trying to prevent frost from actually freezing the leaves. They are not growing either so I am concerned that when it does warm up they may just bolt to seed. I am keeping the situation updated in my grow log.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:46 pm 

Daniel Y wrote:
to add to the above comment. I have 25 plants that where set outside nearly two weeks ago. it has been snowing almost every day since then with the exception of about three days. I don't have any idea what the eventual effect this will have on the plant but they are looking very good considering. a few burns on a couple of leaves where they came in contact with the snow covered plastic that we have over them. but we have not gone to great lengths to protect them. Mainly trying to prevent frost from actually freezing the leaves. They are not growing either so I am concerned that when it does warm up they may just bolt to seed. I am keeping the situation updated in my grow log.

Last year -- my first attempt, which I'd classify as a success) -- my plants took a couple nights of frost and recovered quite well when it warmed up. They complied fairly well with my growth-rate plans, not flowering until after about 2 and a half months. For the record, I covered the flowerheads on one plant of each variety (so I'd have purebred seed for next season) and did nothing about the flowers on the others. They matured a little short (like 4' max), but I attribute that to the very lax approach I took to tending to them... I'm a defiant naturalist; I let them grow the way nature intended.

It'll be interesting to see how your plants end up doing! Good luck :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:57 pm 

Well sunday will be two weeks for those plants and it has continued to snow. THey are still alive and not looking like they intend to give up anytime soon. in comparison we set 44 5 week old plants out on the patio for two hours. The wind casued the leaves to start wilting in less than 2 hours. Just the little shelter the plastic offers seems to make a big difference. It did not snow today and we had bright sunshine off and on. Not ure if it got warm enough under the plastic for the plants to think abotu growing. Next week the weather is supossed to start warming up. hopefuly that will give me ome idea of they will even grow at all now. they may just set there like that and spend all summer eventualy dying.