How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best soil type??
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:03 pm 

Hey there, im a newbie to growing Tobacco.We live in the North Island of New Zealand..Would really appreciate any tips on what soil type works best,what..if anything should we add to the soil?Is an acidic soil or low acid soil better??etc..Thank you :?

Post subject: Re: Best soil type??
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:41 pm 

Here a little reading for you .It may help or may not.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/agr/agr19/agr19.htm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:03 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
Quote:
Soil pH should be about 5.8 for best growth of tobacco. If lime is needed to raise the pH, use dolomite to get the magnesium nutrient that is important for plant growth. Poor growth and some growth disorders may occur if the soil pH is about 6.5 or more.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa260

I had a soil test done on my patch and the ph was 6.4 so I added some sulfur it should be about 6.0 now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:05 am 

IMO... :roll: I think a sandy loam might be a good soil type, that would provide good drainage for the roots.
Baccy don't like wet muddy feet all the time. :wink:
rc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:03 am 

The very best soil I know of is any soil my tobacco plants have their roots stuck in :wink:

Seriously this is actually a very important question.. i have found my plants to be very reactive to how wet the soil is. the make up of your soil makes a big difference. So far I have a soil that is far more sandy than I would want for most other things I have grown. I want a lot of compost or fiberous material to hold some moisture, but not hold actual water. hope that makes since. As others put it. Damp, not wet. and the longer you can get it to stay damp helps in how hard you have to work. some of the stuff you might think of for keeping soil damp like peat moss. have additional negative effects like the wrong Ph. so just careful that one answer is not causing the next problem. Not at all really difficult so far, but still one thing to pay attention to.

My soil is one part compost mixed with one part peat moss. this mixture is than mixed one to one with sand. so I now have a 50% sand, 25% compost 25% peat moss mix. this is then mixed 2 parts mix with one part dirt form my yard (for silt and clay) this results in a shake test that indicated the desired amounts of sand, loam and clay mixture I am looking for. A shake test means to take a handfull of yoru soli. put it in a clear jar of water, shake it up and then let everything settle to the bottom. you can then see the seperate layers of what your soil is made up of. bottom layer is sand, middle layer is silt, and top layer is clay. you want a mixture that is about equal amounts of sand a silt with about half as much clay as you see in either the sand or silt. so roughishly 40% sand 40% Silt/loam and 20% clay. In my case I am silt poor and wil have to allow repeted mixing of compost to eventually build it up. that will have to be added every year until the silt content is where I need it to be.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:20 pm 

I'm sure there must be an ideal soil type, but I haven't worried about that ... where I live (auckland) the topsoil is stripped when they build houses so my garden is basically potters clay. I've had good results by piling aged compost on top of my clay to about 1/2 a foot deep, mixed in with any potting mix I have lying around. Plants are now chest high or taller, so, it's not working too badly. :D