How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pipe tobacco, seeds?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:49 pm 

Hello all I 'm new at growing I had a small crop this past summer some turkish and burly. I planted to late and didn't get any seeds I also am looking at a lot of brittle green turkish (not sure what happened there) and I'm now dealing with mold on the burly. Lot to learn about curing, oh man! Anyway I have been somoking a pipe for a couple of years and this is why I want to grow and blend my own tobacco. So all that being said I'm looking at new seeds and wanting to know get some direction as to what I should plant. I also smoke mostly cavindish or red ribbion but that has more to do with cost of exploring tobacco.
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Canadian

Post subject: Re: Pipe tobacco, seeds?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:53 pm 

Send me a PM and I will be happy to send you seed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:45 am 

Pipe Smokers:
Quote:
So all that being said I'm looking at new seeds and wanting to know get some direction as to what I should plant

For you pipe smokers out there, Canadian would like some advice on what type of seed to buy/acquire to get a good smoke. Let's help him out with some suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:28 am 

I like FMGrowit's perique...
...think he will sell some seed at a reasonable price.

and from MY experience, pipe tobacco is any number of different kinds of baccy, most cured, or aged, with different kinds of 'sauce'.

The Burley 21 I grow would be dandy for a pipe, as it is a substantial leaf that could lend itself well to application of 'sauce', or used standalone, after a period of aging.

I'm in the process of attempting a Perique styled cure/aging process with it, now.

Good luck!
rc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:09 am 

I have been told that burly is used as a base for a lot of pipe tobacco is this true?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:26 am 

BTW Canadian, help us out and put your location in your profile, please! For all we know you're a Canadian trying to grow tobacco in Siberia! :lol: Helps to know location when giving advice. JMHO.
Regards, Neal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:35 pm 

Canadian wrote:
I have been told that burly is used as a base for a lot of pipe tobacco is this true?

Prince Albert is nothing but burley.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:38 pm 

I LIKE PA !

Do you know more about curing burley to approximate PA, OT ?

Best
rc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:12 am 

Burly is a major component of most drugstore tobaccos. A mix of burly, virginias and orientals makes for a real nice smoke. With luck, this year I will be doing up some rum flavored plug and some brandy flavored plug for the pipe. Traditional English blends tend to me virginias, latakia and some orientals. Hope that is helpful.
Art

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:30 pm 

I think it will depend on the kind of pipe tobacco you smoke.

There are definitely kinds of tobacco that are better suited for pipes than say cigars or cigarettes. But as far as I can tell, it is all in the curing, processing and the cut of the tobacco. I am sure you could take a couple tobacco varieties that are usually used for cigarettes, combine them in a press and let them age for a year. Take them out and cut them into flakes and it is now pipe tobacco instead of ciagrette tobacco.

What I am doing is determining what kinds of tobaccos are in my favorite blends and ordering seeds accordingly. The real trick is in the processing. I am a huge latakia and perique fan. However, these tobacco's require a lot of extra time and work in the processing stage that I just don't have. My game plan is to come up with my bases (cavendish, virginia flake, turkish, etc), and order the spice tobaccos in bulk.

If you are into aromatics, then it is all in the flavoring. I think that burly's are the best for accepting flavouring and casings.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:51 am 

Neil nailed it. I use Burley for any pipe tobacco flavorings, orange, lemon, anise, vanilla, chocolate,ect. It makes a nice canvas for blending. I always have a bunch of Virginia on hand as well and Samsun for flavor and spice. I found that buying McClellands Blending Latikia makes making an English blend painless.